Our HistorySt. Paul's is the outgrowth of a mission Sunday School class started in 1884 or 1885 by Mrs. Catherine Bowman, the wife of Dr. W. S. Bowman, Pastor of the Lutheran Church of the Ascension in Savannah. This class grew and on September 19, 1889 was organized into a Mission Sunday School sponsored by the Sunday School Teachers Association of the Ascension Church and was named St. Paul's Lutheran Mission Sunday School.
It grew in popularity to the point that in 1894, the Rev. M. J. Epting was called from St. Luke's Lutheran Church, Newberry County, South Carolina, to be Assistant Pastor of the Ascension Church with the purpose of organizing the Mission Sunday School into a congregation. This was accomplished on November 3, 1895 with 148 members. Dr. Epting remained as pastor until his death on July 14, 1927.
In 1956, the growth of the church brought up desires for a new building. On Palm Sunday, in 1957, the new sanctuary was dedicated. Six months later, an Aeolian-Skinner organ was installed. This beautiful addition to the church continues to fill the church with joyful music.